Thursday, September 9, 2010

inspiration: femme fatales by niagara


darksilenceinsuburbia posted this image quite some time ago, but it's only now that i got around to digging up a bit more information about the artist. a little bit of Litchenstein, a dash of Warhol, swirl it up with a love of ladies with guns in film history and there you have it: the art of Niagara.

her femme fatales evoke some of the most powerful women from the golden age of cinema, joan crawford, bette davis, clara bow... not to mention the "pretty faces" like veronica lake and jane russell. i'm personally drawn to the bold and tough attitude the women have, and totally have my own empowering feminist interpretation of them. here are a few of my favourites:


Fuck Off Outta Here


Double Back

not to mention, the artist herself has quite an impressive and interesting story. she fronted the band Destroy All Monsters (who, as a fan of MC5, i am quite surprised i had never heard of before). here's a picture of her having quite a time in the late 70s:



plus, thurston moore of sonic youth helped to put together a compilation of Destroy All Monsters' music in 1994, since they had never formally recorded. here she is hanging with two of my favourite people, thurston moore and kim gordon.




she seems all around quite badass to me.

3 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

Wow! She does seem like a badass. Thanks for introducing me to her work - going to peruse the site, now.
-Andi x

Angela Joy said...

she's one of my favorite artists! such a great woman!

Jenny Morris said...

Hello! I had the pleasure of meeting you at pride in Toronto a few summers ago, through our mutual friend Morgan. I'm in MTL now, taking my last few sexuality classes at Concordia. There's pictures of me on my blog, would be cool if you remembered me! I love your blog posts so much. I just want to eat every one up.

Post a Comment